Friday, May 16, 2014

Cross Stitching a Quilt

The Fluffy Sheep Quilting birthday sale is still on!  Use the 
code bday15% at checkout.

I have been looking for a fun new cross stitch project for the past few weeks.  I like having one on the go for when I am travelling or sitting in front of the television.  Otherwise my fingers get fidgety.  There were lots and lots of google and etsy searches....and nothing made my heart flutter.

But then...I saw on IG that Corey, of Little Miss Shabbywas kicking off a cross stitch along called Quilty Stitches. I could not resist.  Now, I am joining in quite late and the rest of the group is already on block 7 as I begin stitching along, but I will eventually catch up.

I've pulled out a few skeins of embroidery floss that I dig together.  Since this photo, though, I have removed the orange and yellow and am going with a cooler palate for this project.


I kicked off stitching while travelling to/from Paris for work the other week and quickly realized this is going to take me forever.  Yep.  Forever.  


But there's something so very rewarding when you start seeing the block come together. It makes you want to keep stitching!


Finally (many many nights of stitching later) I have a finished Swoon block.  I very much like my choice in color in the background "fabric" and in the sashing.  And I love the cooler color palate which is new for me.  All in all it's a success so far!



Next I'm tackling the super nutty, HST overloaded Odd Fellow's Chain block.  Wish me luck.  I'm slightly freaking out because I do not have a total mental grasp on these quarter stitches that make up the diagonal in each triangle.  I think I'm fudging it pretty well, so I'll just keep going.  Breathe, Cindy.  Breathe.

To join in yourself, just click here and you will see the project requirements and links to the PDF pattern for each block.  Come on and join in too!  You know you want to....





17 comments:

cheeky monkey said...

Great! At least you have started. I still have everything next to me but after ripping it twice I got lazy. Keep going

Judith, Belfast said...

What a great idea! Beautiful stitchery! Jxo

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Gorgeous! I totally want to do this but have so many things on the go right now. I will do it at some point though, the blocks are so cute!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Wow, this looks so exciting! Have fun Cindy! x Teje

Missy Shay said...

Your "block" is beautiful!

Ruth said...

So very cute - how big are they?

Wendy said...

I'm on block three, but I don't like my colour choice. I did the background grey and the sashing white and wish I'd done it the other way.

For a quarter stitch - decide which is the dominant colour. In the other colour come up through the corner hole and down into the middle, splitting the Aida as there's no hole there. Do the same in the other colour from the opposite side so these two little stitches meet. Then go corner to corner in the remaining holes with whichever colour you chose as the dominant one.

Anna said...

The Swoon was by far the slowest one to do, I've found anyway!

I must get back to mine, I'm on block three (I think, could be four) but I'm leaving the sashing till I've more done!

Lisa said...

Yeah, glad your joining us!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

I remember the days when I spent all me extra $$ on Aida cloth and dmv floss Cute project

Tomomi McElwee said...

aw so cute!!!

Maxine said...

I used to love to cross-stitch! I haven't done it in years. I think I gave up because the process was too slow! But I may pick it up again after reading your blog!

Henry's Shed said...

Yay! I'm so glad you joined in - it really is lots of fun! I joined while I was on holiday and managed to stitch 6 blocks in 3 days because I just couldn't put it down!! Your colour choices are very pretty, and your half stitches look great! I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes next :) xx

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

This is going to be so cute!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

LOVE this!

Erin @ Billy Button Design said...

I have a load of cross stitches that I haven't picked up in 15 years... I love the swoon.

Nicky said...

Keep going! Stitching and patchwork in one - must be good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Label Cloud

241 tote all heart appeal antique applique apron art quilt aurifil award baby quilt back background bag basket batik bee Bee Blessed Big Stitch Swap bird's nest birdie stitches birthday blankets of love block blog blogaversary blogger bundle bloglovin' BOM book brit bee brooch bundle bunting business card holder camping cathedral window chain piecing chaos charm pack charm squares charm swap chickens Christmas class clothes color commission community community quilt contest craft craft fair cross cross stitch Cúchulainn cushion design wall diaper Do.Good Stitches donation double wedding ring drawing dress eclipse election electronica embroicery embroidery eraser stamp exhibit fab fabric fabric tape facebook FAL farmers journal fat eight fat quarter fat quarterly feature festival of quilts film finish finish along flag flickr flying geese FMQ FNSI frame Free Motion Friday free motion quilting friends fugly Galway Galway Now gift giveaway goal goals goodie goodie swap granny mania granny squares graph guest blog guild hand puppet hand quilting hand sewing happy hat help hexagons hey girl hospital hot pad HST I Spy ICA improv innovation award inspiration interview invitation ipad ipad cover IPS IQFOI Irish chain Japanese key fob kind stitches knit knitting knitting and stitching kona lattice illusions laugh launch learning lecture Liberty linky list little star loops love on the blocks LQS Day magazine market medallion mennonite miniquilt mixer cover mod logs Mod Pop QAL modern blocks Modern Irish Bee modern irish quilters modern quilt guild modern quilt guild bee modern stitching Modern Stitching Bee monster mouthy stitches mug rug mural name name game name tag napkin needle book new york beauty newsletter Nieve notebook cover overlocker panel paper piecing patchwork pattern Pay it forward Peace Valley peanut butter perle cotton pezzy pizazz photograph PIF pillow pillowcase dress pin cushion pinwheel PJ placemat podcast polka dot pom pom portholes post pouch precut puffy pouch puppy purse QAL quilt quilt exhibit quilt frame quilt top quilter in the gap quilting Rainbow Charm Swap research retreat retroflower review sale sampler scarf science scrap scraps screen printing seams selvage sew and bee happy Sew Bee Blissful sewing machine sewing room shop significant sizzix sketch skirt solid spools stall stand star stargazing start your own stitched in color string stuffed super tote surprise swap swoon tablerunner teaching text thumb tack tiles top tote toy travel tree skirt tumbler tutorial twinkle twinkle twitter video vote walk wallet website win WIP wonky house yarn youtube zip

Total Number of Page Views