Monday, July 28, 2014

Fat Quarterly Retreat :: Part 1 ::

I realize nearly everyone else who attended the Fat Quarterly Retreat has already posted about their time at the retreat, but took me a while to get that organized.  Please just play along nicely and let me reminisce.

About 10 days ago I woke up before the sun and made my way down to the airport to grab a flight to London.  I was really looking forward to an hour of quiet time to myself, a coffee, the newspaper and a little happy stitching.  I pulled out my Big Stitch Swap cross stitch and x-ed my way to the land of the Union Jack.


The retreat was just lovely - lots of old friends complimented by several new-to-me faces who were very enthusiastic, happy and chatty.  It was a lovely crew of folks to share a weekend.  I signed up for five classes, each of which was led by a really patient, excited, knowledgeable instructor.  Some classes really inspired me and others just did not suit me, but I am glad I tried them all.  It was a great adventure.  Quickly, let's run through two of them...I will save the others for a second post.

First up is Amy Smart's Fabulously Fast Tiles class where we started making a quilt top from her new book.  This is a very basic, straight forward pattern of strip piecing that will come together quite quickly if I could (or when I will) dedicate a weekend to it.   I am quite happy to have it in my tool belt for a go-to gift.


Amy was chatty, clear, friendly and was wonderful answering our many questions.  She gave us hints and tips as we went about how we could get more fabric variation in our top or which fabrics to choose.


There were also very clear instructions for cutting/squaring and piecing a top on point.  Look at Di there soaking it all in!


I stitched like the mad woman I am and came up with a few tiles and lots of pairings to give me a running start when I pick this project up again in August.  I love the fabrics here and can't wait to dive in again.  It's the perfect project to pick up and stitch in the evening after work.


I also signed up for Karen's screen printing class.  I was SO excited to take Karen's class as I've been a huge fan of her work for quite some time now.  She tempts me with her creations daily on that darned IG feed of hers!  We stared out with an overview of how you screen print with the stencil method and a few dos and don'ts from the master herself.


She looks like she's yelling at us here, but she's really very nice and cute!

And then we dove in, sketching cutting and taping.  To my right was the famous Hadley causing all kinds of trouble and to my right Nicky and Reene.  You know there was a bit of messing in the front row of class.  


I warn you now, that this class has taken over the creative side of my brain and I am obsessing about the next time I can screen print something/anything.  Nothing is safe in our house.  You will absolutely see me pulling out the paint and a squeegee as the summer moves on.

I brought with me a little clip art sewing machine that I could easily trace and print.  It worked relatively well, but as the printing went on I slowly lost detail like the needle.  I can just backstitch that in as I go.  I'm not worried.


The screens made by my class mates were just amazing.  There was a wonderful mix of birds, text, fruit, more traditional almost Dutch barn designs and household items.  These were the few that really caught my eye.




Really really liked the idea of printing on another print.  What a cool combo!

I lost my mind a small bit and went from my trial printing on newsprint to my little class supply tote...


And then onto my retreat goodie tote, followed by all of the Kona White scraps that I brought with me.  I don't know what came over me, but I was just delighted with the process and couldn't stop.  I will cut around the machines on the Kona White and use them in pouches, etc.  They're so darned cute!  


In the end, Karen helped me work through a stencil to print the my favorite fluffy sheep.  I just need to stock up on ink and find a sunny weekend and there will be a pile of quilt labels made with my small friend.  


Come on back later in the week and I will tell you all about my two Jen Kingwell classes.  She was AMAZING.  We even saw her famous quilts up close and personal.  There may even be a giveaway included!  Don't miss out.  






21 comments:

Aideen said...

Love the way you did your fluffy sheep logo!

Isisjem said...

Oh wow these classes look just amazing!

Coser Tejer Crear said...

Ohhh I was so jealous back then!
I love the prints you chose for the quilt! And the logo is just so so cute!

Jess Burns said...

I like your sheep stencil - I think it's cute. I have a big thing for sheep (so much that my mum once did a 12 days of sheep Christmas and sent me things like a ping-pong ball that she glued felt to to make a sheep).

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Happy days!!!

Betsy Grey Crafts said...

I love the sheep- would be cute on tote bags for the shop.

memmens said...

You're making me feel sad all over again about what I missed, but glad you had such a great time, the screen printing is superb!

Sarah said...

Glad you had a good weekend. Lots of folks seem really inspired by the screen printing. Your wee sheep is very cute.

Tomomi McElwee said...

You seems to have had a very good time. I love to see the sheep very soon:)

Rachaeldaisy said...

I haven't noticed any other posts about FQR. The classes you did look extra fun. I love your screen printed seeing machine and that sheep is going to make the coolest labels!! I'm really looking forward to hearing about the Jen Kingwell class!!

Leanne said...

I'm glad you have a plan for printing that fluffy sheep. I'm so glad you have a great time.

Ella said...

I can see how the printing would be addictive.

pennydog said...

I'm still jealous. Looking forward to the next instalment!

DeborahGun said...

sounds like such a brilliant time, and I am laughing at you printing your sewing machine on anything you could get your hands on :-)

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I can't wait to see that sheep in fabric and paint form!

Catherine said...

I would love to have been there, especially for Karens class. Love your sewing machine

Katherine said...

Looks like you learned lots and had a fun time, Cindy. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with us. Now I'm keen to see that quilt you started piecing at the retreat come together... not to mention the printing you showed (the wee sheep is so cute!).

Nessa said...

What a delight to read through your adventures at the retreat.
Your wee sheep is just lovely, and will be so useful as your wooly pal!

Wendy said...

Looks like you had such an awesome time! I hope to go to this retreat one day...

Unknown said...

Lovely fabrics, can't wait to see your fluffy sheep. It's going to look adorable!

Katy Cameron said...

Oh Amy's lovely, and I'm rather jealous of the screen printing class (although I have done some myself in the past lol) Hadley causing trouble? So unlike her... ;o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Label Cloud

241 tote all heart appeal antique applique apron art quilt aurifil award baby quilt back background bag basket batik bee Bee Blessed Big Stitch Swap bird's nest birdie stitches birthday blankets of love block blog blogaversary blogger bundle bloglovin' BOM book brit bee brooch bundle bunting business card holder camping cathedral window chain piecing chaos charm pack charm squares charm swap chickens Christmas class clothes color commission community community quilt contest craft craft fair cross cross stitch Cúchulainn cushion design wall diaper Do.Good Stitches donation double wedding ring drawing dress eclipse election electronica embroicery embroidery eraser stamp exhibit fab fabric fabric tape facebook FAL farmers journal fat eight fat quarter fat quarterly feature festival of quilts film finish finish along flag flickr flying geese FMQ FNSI frame Free Motion Friday free motion quilting friends fugly Galway Galway Now gift giveaway goal goals goodie goodie swap granny mania granny squares graph guest blog guild hand puppet hand quilting hand sewing happy hat help hexagons hey girl hospital hot pad HST I Spy ICA improv innovation award inspiration interview invitation ipad ipad cover IPS IQFOI Irish chain Japanese key fob kind stitches knit knitting knitting and stitching kona lattice illusions laugh launch learning lecture Liberty linky list little star loops love on the blocks LQS Day magazine market medallion mennonite miniquilt mixer cover mod logs Mod Pop QAL modern blocks Modern Irish Bee modern irish quilters modern quilt guild modern quilt guild bee modern stitching Modern Stitching Bee monster mouthy stitches mug rug mural name name game name tag napkin needle book new york beauty newsletter Nieve notebook cover overlocker panel paper piecing patchwork pattern Pay it forward Peace Valley peanut butter perle cotton pezzy pizazz photograph PIF pillow pillowcase dress pin cushion pinwheel PJ placemat podcast polka dot pom pom portholes post pouch precut puffy pouch puppy purse QAL quilt quilt exhibit quilt frame quilt top quilter in the gap quilting Rainbow Charm Swap research retreat retroflower review sale sampler scarf science scrap scraps screen printing seams selvage sew and bee happy Sew Bee Blissful sewing machine sewing room shop significant sizzix sketch skirt solid spools stall stand star stargazing start your own stitched in color string stuffed super tote surprise swap swoon tablerunner teaching text thumb tack tiles top tote toy travel tree skirt tumbler tutorial twinkle twinkle twitter video vote walk wallet website win WIP wonky house yarn youtube zip

Total Number of Page Views